Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Channeling my Inner Muffy

I was going to call this Channeling my Inner Buffy but ever since the program about vampires became popular it doesn’t have the same connotation it had 32 (eww, has it really been that long?) years ago when I entered college.  I have always liked the preppy look, though I have moved away from it professionally.  Personally is another issue I have to say.  I was going to an 80’s themed social dance a few weeks ago; I was driving to work the day before trying to figure out how I could put together a preppy 80’s look because I didn’t think I had the clothes anymore.  It took me a few miles to realize I had all the pieces, I just needed to put them together in the right order again.  I had  thought the look was all but dead until a friend of mine turned me on to Jen Lancaster’s books.  At first I didn’t like her because she was just like many of the women I disliked in college but I persevered.  I figured anyone who loves her rescue animals as much as she does can’t be the witch she came across as in her first book.  I’ve come to realize she has a lot of very good qualities, not the least of which is her penchant for shirts decorated with an alligator.  I haven’t owned one of those shirts in years.  I wore out the ones I had in college and I thought they had disappeared.  However, after reading the aforementioned author I realized they were still very much alive albeit very expensive.  Come on $100 for something I could get in a big box store for $25 dollars are you kidding?  Granted it would be missing the requisite reptile (had to look that one up I wasn’t sure if they were reptiles or amphibians – it’s been a long time since middle school science) but I could live with that.  On Sunday, I hit my local outlet mall – actually went to return something and ended up spending more money.  I scored big time – found out this mall now has an outlet for those wonderful polo shirts.  Decided I would go in to see how much they were selling them for.  As luck would have it they were having a Memorial Day sale and they were only $35.  That is a much more realistic price.  Only found one in my size but it is a rich shade of purple which looks really good on me.  Further down I went to another of my favorite preppy enclaves which had for a while moved away from its roots and scored yet again. A coral and white striped seersucker wrap skirt embroidered with pineapples for $15 – in this store that is almost unheard of, who cares if it is a season old it was $15.  Of course the sleeveless polo dress embroidered with their logo (a golden fleece not a horse – don’t do the horse logo shop; their clothes don’t fit.) was a bit more but still…
I was sitting on my deck reading Monday morning, Mojo was attempting to unlock the screen door or failing that, rip a hole in itto join me outside.  When he succeeded at neither and began to yowl as only a Siamese can I decided my sanity was more important so I headed to the local pet mega store to get him a leash and collar so he could safely be with me and not try to taka header off the balcony.  What do I find but a pink and green argyle collar?  Ok, so he was male at some point in his life and I realize I’m probably pushing the limit with pink and green And a pink bell but it was too me not to buy.  We’re working on the collar and leash thing in total but he doesn’t seem to be too offended by the color of the collar.  As for me – I need to start wearing my pearls and penny loafers on a more regular basis…

No comments:

Post a Comment